Ships Factory Direct In 1-2 Weeks
Kohler Power Systems 8.5kW Standby Generator
• More Powerful Performance
• Kohler·s exclusive PowerBoost technology provides greater motor starting capability for large loads such as central air conditioners while still running other home appliances and electronics.
• Safer Power for Sensitive Electronics
• Many power sources can damage and degrade sensitive home electronics due to unstable power quality or high levels of total harmonic distortion (THD). KOHLER residential generators protect all of your valuable appliances and sophisticated electronics with cleaner, safe and stable power that meets strict utility requirements and IEEE standards for THD.
• Quieter Operation
• Quiet operation: 65 dB(A) at 7 m, similar to a typical vacuum cleaner
• Sound enclosure maintains neighborhood solitude whether you are in self-test or full operation mode
• Faster Response
• While many competitive products can leave you in the dark for 25 seconds or more during an outage, KOHLER generators restore power in as little as 10 seconds.
• Superior five-year limited warranty included
• KOHLER residential generators are commercial grade and have the warranty to back it up. This generator is supported by a premium five-year limited warranty.
• Digital electronic isochronous governor
• Digital voltage regulator
• LED display provides diagnostic capability
• Designed for Easy Installation
• Polymer base eliminates the need for a concrete mounting pad, reducing installation time and cost
• Fuel and electrical connections through the enclosure wall eliminate the need for stub-ups through the bottom
• Emission Certifications
• California Air Resources Board (CARB)-certified for both LP vapor and natural gas (field-convertible)
• Meets Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) nonstationary unit requirements
IMPORTANT: Warranty Coverage - Stationary standby applications used as a backup to a commercial utility source: Five (5) years or 2000 hours (whichever occurs first) from date of shipment from the factory or registered startup date. Non-standby applications where a utility source is unavailable or unreliable: Eighteen (18) months or 1000 hours (whichever occurs first) from date of shipment from the factory or registered startup date. (Non-standby warranty coverage not applicable for RESL models.) Start up service is not included, your local Kohler Dealer can quote the price for start up.
|Manufacturer||Kohler Power Systems|
|Made In USA||Yes|
|Voltage||120/240V Single Phase|
|A/C Ton Rating||4 Ton|
|Decibel Rating||65 db(A)||Features|
|Starting System||Electric, Automatic|
|Low Oil Alert||Low Oil Pressure|
|Battery Requirement||Group 26, 12V, 525 CCA|
|Product Weight||400 lbs.|
|Shipping Weight||440 lbs.|
|Dimensions (Inches)||44.2L x 28.6W x 31.6H||Engine|
|Engine Size||38 cu.in./15.4 HP|
|Engine RPM||3600 RPM|
|Cast Iron Sleeve||Yes|
|Cooling System||Air Cooled||Alternator|
|Auto Voltage Regulation||Yes||Fuel|
|NG Power Capacity||7kW|
|LP Power Capacity||8.5kW|
|NG Consumption @ Full Load||132 cu.ft/hr|
|NG Consumption @ 1/2 Load||93 cu.ft/hr|
|LP Consumption @ Full Load||8.4 lb/hr|
|LP Consumption @ 1/2 Load||4.2 lb/hr||Transfer Switch|
|Transfer Switch Model||Sold Separately||Warranty Information|
|Consumer Warranty||5 Year or 2000 Hour Limited|
Posted by Gary on 29th Aug 2013
Our use of the Kohler 8.5RES is as an Off-Grid power source at a Gun Club located in a National Forest area. We are totally off-grid, even the cell phone reception is marginal.
We have been using a series of liquid gasoline generators intended for commercial use. The problem lies in the handling of gasoline. Our volunteer staff often does not fuel the Gensets prior to use. Therefore they quit after a few hours. To my horror, the operator pours gasoline from a 5 gal can into the generator fuel tank, while the Genset is hot.
Propane is the solution. We purchased a Kohler 8.5RES and put it into service. Universal approval from customers and volunteer staff for low noise and for reliable power. This unit has been in service on Sat, Sun and Wed for about 8 hours a day for six months. We service the Genset once a month.
In spite of the Mfr recommendation, we installed it in a small "GenShed". This shed has two large vent fans blowing INTO the shed (after I reversed them) and with the doors open. To a avoid problems with propane gas settling in the shed, we only operate with the doors open. Genset is not started until the double doors are open.
We like the low noise, easy starting and propane power. Our load is less than 2 kW, with a low power factor due to motor loads. As near as I can tell, there is no negative effects to the Genset.
Based on our satisfaction with the first 8.5 RES, we have ordered a second one. We will then be rid of gasoline Gensets.
One feature that we have not yet used it the ability to remotely start/stop the Genset. This provides capability to recharge batteries when they are low, without the expense/reliability of solar panels. Our 24/7 power needs are satisfied by batteries. We need fewer batteries, as we can recharge them at will. This has not been implemented, but will soon be in service.
All generators include 24 hour delivery notification and residential delivery. Liftgate service is available on all air-cooled generators and some liquid cooled units – Please call for verification. Free Shipping is curbside service only. Curbside service means the freight company will deliver to your address and lower your generator to the ground. The freight company will not back down driveways, place a generator in a building or where it is being installed. You are responsible for arranging the movement and setting of the generator.
Some restrictions apply to "Free Shipping" you may either view our
Shipping Information page or contact us for details.